[pure-silver] Re: Vivian Maier, street photographer and nanny

  • From: Eric Nelson <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 08:42:54 -0800 (PST)

I've had some communication w/Mr. Maloof and I saw the Chicago show and they
have made digital prints although that didn't detract, per se, from the images.
 One problem John has is aside from the volume of obviously great work, is that
the condition of the negs and the effect of time on the unprocessed film.  This
to me makes scanning a given at least for the works' first oeuvre and I'm sure
made for long hours of retouching.

The one thing that did detract knowing that I was looking at digital prints,
was
that highlights that were more than likely recoverable via scanning weren't
always given tone.  Perhaps their not being photographers or pshop experts
brought that about.  Also given the volume of images to scan, print, mount, and
frame, I could see being overwhelmed and not having enough time to really work
on their scans.  The prints do speak to the quality of that Epson scanner used
as far as sharpness assuming it was just a shortage of time that didn't allow
for finessing the highlights and not a shortfall of the equipment.  I wish my
desk looked that neat!

There are 2 rooms of prints for this showing and it's worth a visit before it
comes down in April.  I went to the opening and it was mobbed so not the best
viewing experience, but I was able to see everything.  I hadn't seen that TV
interview which was very interesting to watch, from our local PBS station, so
thanks Jim for bringing it up!