[pure-silver] Re: Variation In Developer Time/Temp Curves

  • From: "Nicholas O. Lindan" <nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 22:33:53 -0500

Re: compensating timer.

On this subject, if you are using a naked sensor then I would recommend using a microcontroller with an on-board A/D. I use the Atmel AVR line for product development of this sort. The AVR is the chip found on the Arduino boards.

If you are using an RTD/thermistor/thermocouple/paperclip (iron makes a not-bad temperature sensor) then don't bother with anything but linear amplification of the sensor signal. Do all the 'signal conditioning' for turning the signal into temperature in software. The standard compiler math library for the ubiquitous gcc compiler has all the floating point log/exponentiation function you could ever need. Analog circuitry for doing math is inaccurate and drift prone unless you are willing to spend a small fortune on it and pot it in a temperature controlled block. Software is free and doesn't drift, age or get noisy.

However, for a cheap temperature sensor look at the Maxim DS18B20 http://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS18B20.pdf- it spits out the temperature directly in degrees, saving you the drudgery of NBS thermocouple/RTD tables and polynomial curve fitting. There's an outfit in China packaging the chip in a hermetic stainless tube with a 3' cable for $1.78 - see ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/391264264310?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true . There are snippets of Arduino interfacing code available on the 'net.

Philosophically, I find the 'compensating timer' approach to be a kludge. Kodak publishes time/temperature data for all the film/developer combinations. I keep all the film & developer datasheets in the darkroom in a three ring binder. No big deal to look it up before processing.

As to paper processing, the time/temperature relationship isn't critical. Unless you have a voltage regulator on the enlarger you will see far greater variation in print density from the kitchen refrigerator cycling on and off. God knows I have done enough work on paper characterization to know that normal variation in darkroom temperature has close to nil effect if you develop paper to completion. If you are pulling the paper early then you will see some temperature sensitivity - but you are better off just going down a contrast grade and developing to completion.

Nicholas O. Lindan
Darkroom Automation
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
Cleveland, Ohio 44121