[pure-silver] Re: VC Paper Holy Grail

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 18:22:40 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Purdy" <dlp4777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 6:56 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: VC Paper Holy Grail

Freestyle makes no bones of telling you that the Arista is Kentmere. I use it and find it just as good as the other neutral color papers on the market. I wish they would come out with something warm that could replace Ilford warm tone or Oriental warm tone.
Dennis
On Apr 7, 2009, at 17:00, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

I have long looked for a replacement paper for my beloved Zone VI Graded that looked as good but was also VC. Bergger VCNB is close but I just found something that just *blew me away* ... Arista II VCFB Glossy. The blacks are like I haven't seen in a loooong time. No, it's not as heavy as the old Zone VI nor does the surface have the tooth of the aforementioned, but this Arista is one of the richest papers I've seen in a very long time. It is about to completely displace Ilford MGIV for me. It doesn't hurt that the Arista
is also noticeably cheaper than its competitors.

Now I want to try all the "oddball" papers at Freestyle. Has
anyone compared Arista II to:

Foma
Adox
Kentmere
Fotokemika

I'd be interested in comments...
--
I'll have to make a trip to Freestyle and look at the labels. Freestyle has used "Arista" as a house brand for many years but the stuff under the label varies. In the old days Arista was all Ilford stuff, both film and paper. Not long ago I found several countries of origin on Arista labels. I will check again soon. Freestyle is only about three miles from here but its in Hollywood so I have to grit my teeth to go there.
Los Angeles