[pure-silver] Re: Tri-X in XTOL

  • From: Elias Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 12:44:29 -0500

Thanks for the explanation Bill.

It was looong service this morning, as we were saying goodbye to our rector. I'm charged with making lunch for my tribe, but after that I shall be FREE to develop AND print.

Elias

On Dec 27, 2009, at 11:58 AM, William Harting wrote:

Good Sunday morning.

I have a one liter bottle of stock which I have used for perhaps twenty or more rolls (of several brands of film) at this writing. As each roll is being developed, I add about 7ml (that would be about 7ml per roll, or per 8x10 equivalent) of fresh stock to the bottle, and return the used developer, as much a will fit, to the stock bottle.

I don't know the life of the stock replenished this way, but will probably replace it when it begins to look too muddy. I know I have some references to using Xtol this way; for me it is turning out to be easy and dependable and to yield good results. I develop up to 12 sheets of 4x5 with this solution, adding the appropriate amount of replenisher.

I'll gather up the references and send them along.

-bill

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Elias Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

Sunday morning... and I'm reading this... but on the offhand chance I got an answer, and could develop a roll before heading off to church...

You all missed my question, my fault. Let me try again.

I'm asking about Full Strength (not 1:1) for reuse. from my 1L bottle of stock. Do re-use by putting what I used for one roll of film (usually around 450ml) back into the bottle it came from, mix, and then pour out another amount for the next roll? If I do that, I imagine that the life of this 1L stock solution is considerably shorter at this point. I believe I would get 15 rolls of film out of re-used/replenished stock (extending time with each 5 rolls), rather than 4 rolls (120) out of the 1:1 one-shot.

Thanks,

Elias

On Dec 26, 2009, at 9:04 PM, William Harting wrote:

Elias, I'm under the impression that diluted Xtol should be used single shot -- no reason you could not use one diluted batch to anticipated exhaustion -- but I would not mix it back in with the stock. I've been using replenished stock lately, the routine is very easy and developing performance is predictable. I have a liter of working stock and add a bit of fresh developer for each roll I develop. This keeps the stock bottle topped up and replenished.

So does this mean you develop however number of rolls in 1L of stock each time? I only have a single roll capacity tank for my 120 reel.

E.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = ====================================================================== To unsubscribe from this list, go to www.freelists.org and logon to your account (the same e-mail address and password you set-up when you subscribed,) and unsubscribe from there.