[pure-silver] Toning VC Papers..NOT

  • From: "J.R. Stewart" <jrstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:22:17 -0500

Good Folks,

I recently started using VC FB papers and am continuing to experiment with a
variety of them. So far I've tested Agfa MC, Ilford MC, Kodak Polymax Fine
Art, Oriental Seagull VC, and Forte Polygrade. All glossy surfaces and
developed in Ansco 120 1+2 or D72 and fixed in TF-4.

Interesting results on log exposure ranges and response to VC filters (thru
colorhead), but what I'm most surprised to see is the relative lack of
toning in selenium. I used KRST 1:20 at 70 deg F. The only paper that toned
at all  (when viewed either under incandescent, flourescent, or daylight)
was Forte Polygrade. It toned moderately after 4 minutes in the KRST. I left
the other prints in for 20 minutes... no noticeable tone.  To detect toning,
I viewed each KRST-treated print side-by-side with an untoned print from the
same paper. My benchmark for KRST response is what I routinely see with FB
graded papers (Fortezzo, Bergger, or Bromofort). Some of the VC papers, e.g.
Agfa and Polymax, became just slightly warmer in the base (highlights) after
KRST treatment.

Does this surprise anyone? Should I be using a stronger dilution for VC
papers? Should I be using warmtone papers if I want to get a decent selenium
tone?

Thanks in advance.

R,

J.R. Stewart