[pure-silver] Re: Thanks to Snoopy & an offer

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 13:28:47 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Grif" <kgriffit@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2011 1:13 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Thanks to Snoopy & an offer

Tri-Chem Pac??? I read that comment and could actually smell it ;-)

That's it! My dad took a course in photography and brough home the kit. He never did anything with it but I did. The kit had three small trays, a ruby lamp, a small printing frame, a small package of Velox, a few Tri-Chem-Paks, a couple of film clips and a few other things, I think a small graduate. Anyway, enough stuff to process a few rolls of film and print them. I thing the film was 127 size but am not sure. It seemed to take forever to develop but was probably only abotu five minutes. I also made prints. I don't remember now what the pictures were of, probably just taken in front of our house. It didn't matter, I still marvel when I see the image begin to come up on a print. I think anyone who is serious about photography should have the experience of seeing film develop. Unfortunately, that requires ortho film and its unavailable. The Tri-Chem-Pak for those who don't know, had three small packets of chemicals, a universal developer, a stop bath, a fixing bath, all in powder form. The developer changed over the time the packs were made, I think it was originally something like Dektol but later was Versatol, a somewhat less active developer that worked better for film but would still develop printing paper adequately. Tri-Chem-Paks were also available in packages and were convenient for processing one or two rolls of film when traveling. Strictly one-shot. Kodak made a couple of darkroom kits. I think they made one that was more elaborate than the one I had. The next kit was from FR and was definitely a step up with a roll film tank and some other stuff. I think a real safelight in place of the ruby lamp. I used FR chemicals for a long time; they were in liquid form and worked well. The FR tank was the kind that loaded by rotating the cage back and forth, much easier to load that the push-into kind of plastic tanks (I have never liked them). After moving to California I got really serious and set up a real darkroom with enlarger. I was introduced to Nikor stainless steel tanks around then and have never gone back to plastic ones. I have had a few lapses, one quite long one, but have been doing darkroom work now for over sixty years. Certainly digital has many advantages but I still like "wet" photography and film. (And vacuum tube electronics).