[pure-silver] Stuff for the mount press

  • From: Jeffrey Thorns <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 20:04:44 -0800

I finally broke down and bought a mount press - an old Seal Commercial 210.

It's in good shape overall, with a little adhesive(?) stuck to the pad and the platten in places.

A few questions;

The pad is solid (no gouges taken out), with just a few streaks of adhesive. I don't imagine it's worth replacing, since I could just place a piece of clean board on the pad to isolate it from the print/board, right?

Should I put a lot of effort into cleaning the platten, or should I just use some sort of release paper on top? If I should clean it, what should I clean it with? Do I dare use a scraper of some sort, or is there a cleaning agent that will 'lift' the adhesive off?

Could I get a couple recommendations for a brand of mounting tissue? Probably 90% of what I will mount will be RC paper, 10% fiber - all B&W. No problem stocking two types of tissue. Something permanent and archival.

How about the difference between "release paper" and "cover sheets"? In the Light Impressions catalog, there is a striking difference in price. (Cover sheets are about 4x the price of release paper)

I'm looking at some tacking irons on ebay - several for sale right now.

Anything else I have forgotten that will make my re-introduction to mounting (after 25+ years) more enjoyable?

Thanks in advance for any advice.