[pure-silver] Re: Spotting negatives?

  • From: Ken Sinclair <photo1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 10:30:06 -0600

Bob,

'Soft' graphite pencils were also used on the base on "non-toothed' films after a sparse application of Kodak Retouching Fluid (now banned due to the tri-chloroethylene (or was it "di..?).

Where I was 'working' it was more than acceptable to spend a ridiculous amount of time 'hiding' (or 'reducing' natural) wrinkles and removing the occasional specular highlight from spectacles
when making the "Official" bi-annual portrait.

I still have a half-bottle of that retouching fluid hidden away.

To-day, I might prefer to use well THINNED DOWN red opaque on the rare occasion it might be of use to 'fill-in' any negative clear spots such that I may spot fill on the print.

Ken

On 6-Jun-11, at 9:56 AM, BOB KISS wrote:

Actually, lead pencils of different softnesses/hardnesses were used to
retouch negatives. This worked well on film that had a special, finely
textured base coating that had "tooth" that took the pencils well.  I
actually have a set of these pencils. To disclose my age, the portraits at my high school were shot 5X7 view camera (b&w) and the negs were penciled to remove blemishes. Looking at the prints now it is so obvious but we were
not so visually sophisticated then.
Pencils don't work very well on modern glossy film bases but the
lithographer's opaque I recommended in my Sunday 9 am e-mail which is water soluble (and makes a finer dot when diluted with a very little photo flo)
sticks to the base very well.
                CHEERS!
                        BOB

From: John Bower john@s