[pure-silver] Re: Some Edwal Patents

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 14:34:27 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bogdan Karasek" <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2007 6:58 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Some Edwal Patents

Hello Richard,

How does one go about finding the patents that correspond to the numbers that you give below? I'm Canadian so I am not familiar with the workings of US Federal Offices. I tried a google search but that didn't work.

If you could point me in the right direction, it would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers,
Bogdan

There are two sources: one is the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office at http://www.uspto.gov there is a search engine which will search by patent number for any patent ever issued but can make text searches only for patents issued from 1975. The earlier patents are downloaded as FAX tiff files and you need a plug in to view them. The best is Alternatiff. This is freeware and can be found by making a Google search for it. My other source, and the one I mostly use now is Google Patents. To get to this open the Google home page and click on the tab labeled "more". One of the choices is Patents. To search fro a patent by number simply type it into the search window. Google allows text searches for all patents in its database, I believe this is all US patents ever issued. Patents are viewed with the need for a plug-in and can be downloaded as PDF Acrobat files. This is much more convenient than the patent office site especially as the PDFs are the complete patent where the USPTO files are one page at a time. I have been using the Google site to research patents in sound recording, locomotives, motion picture technology, photographic technology and some other areas of interest. Its pretty amazing what you can find. The "Advanced search" option is easy to use, it automatically makes Boolean searches without having to know all sorts of search terms. I am not sure how the Google site does its searches but it sometimes comes up with mangled spellings and will also sometimes return multiple results for the same patent.

---