[pure-silver] Re: Self Critiism (WAS Is anyone out there???)

  • From: KironKid@xxxxxxx
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 21:45:16 EDT

Speedy

   Yes, we are our own worst critics. Which is probably good. It forces us
to improve. I have quite a few older snaps that are considered VERY good by
others, and that have sold many times over. But, because of seeing them too
much, I've grown bored with them. I think it's important not to shoot
haphazardly. Just push the shutter, when the scene moves you. If I really like
snap after getting it souped and viewing (yes, I still burn film), then I
consider it a good one and a keeper. But I think it's important to quickly move
on and not to spend too much time viewing it. Or as usual, I'll quickly
grow bored and indifferent about it. For my personal shooting, I shoot what I
like and enjoy. Pay no mind to what anyone else or what a potential judge may
think or say about it. If it moves you, it's a good shot.

   Having said that, when we are shooting for publication, weddings, etc,
so long as the client or editor really enjoys and is satisfied with your
results, that's all that matters. I've had clients like something that I would
have quickly tossed in the trash. Hey, we're all different, and that's the
beauty of it. We all see and feel differently, and if we shoot it like we see
and feel it, we will have no competition. Our vision should always exceed
our grasp. That's how we learn and improve.

   I highly recommend two books, "Art & Fear and Zen in the Art of
Archery."  Fantastic photo books.

    A photograph that mirrors reality, cannot compare to one that reflects
the spirit.

Kiron Kid

In a message dated 5/12/2009 6:50:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
speedgraphic@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

After having typed the above I should say that usually when I print
I get what I think are OK prints.  The truth is that I am my own
worst critic.  After leaving a print alone for a period of time and
then coming back to it I can appreciate it.  I know that I am no
worse of a photographer now than I was at any time in the past.
It is just that I need fresh eyes to appreciate my own work.

How do you overcome being "your own worst critic?"

Kiron Kid

'A photograph that mirrors reality, cannot compare to one that reflects the
spirit"
steps! (http:
//pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221322936x1201367173/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd
=Mayfooter51209NO115)