[pure-silver] Re: Rollei Retro in DD-X

  • From: Dennis Purdy <dlp4777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 09:50:56 -0800

I have found that for some reason that is unexplainable by me, different films work better in different developers. DDX is a very good developer for Delta 3200 if you want fine grain. I don't think that it will give you as crisp looking negs as Rodinal will. But then you have to define crispness. Could just be contrast or could be grain and sharpness.

Regarding how a neg looks relative to how it prints, I like beautiful negs and find they generally make the best prints.
Dennis
On Nov 10, 2008, at 07:56, eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi all,

I just processed two rolls of Retro 400 in Ilford DD-X. I processed it for 11 minutes at 20C.
The time listed for APX 400 was 12 min., I chose 11 min. to keep contrast and density down a bit because I print with a condenser. Anyway, the negs look soft, not as crisp as what Rodinal yields. Maybe I should have gone for the full 12?

I used a Canon FD 24mm f2.8 lens for most of the shots. Not normally a soft a lens.

The proof, of course is in the printing, but I wonder if any of you have any reaction to this information.

Elias