[pure-silver] Re: Repro camera as LF enlarger

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 13:41:53 -0800

On Wednesday, December 06, 2006, at 11:28AM, "Claudio Bonavolta"
<claudio@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Dear All,
>
>I'm the recent (and pretty proud) owner of an "Agfa RPS 2024 Compact" repro
>camera I took from a local printing company right before they dump it.
>
>I'm interested to (try to) convert it into a LF enlarger with the upper stage
>as a film carrier which can handle negatives larger than 40x50cm (16x20").
>I'll have to build a pretty large light box ...
>
>Everything is driven electrically: height adjustment, focus, lens turret,
>shutter, vacuum pumps for the original and film stages, etc ...
>
>For those interested to see what such thing looks like, there was one for sale
>on eBay Germany:
>http://cgi.ebay.de/Reprokamera-AGFA-RPS-2024-Compact_W0QQitemZ220042276306QQihZ012QQcategoryZ27813QQcmdZViewItem
>It's in german and the pictures doesn't give the real idea of its size.
>
>It costed me nothing but ... although the term "Compact" is written on it,
>it's a really huge tool: 1.65m high and 220kg (around 5.5' and 450 pounds).
>I managed to find some help (4 guys minimum) to load it in my van and unload
>it into the garage.
>My first idea was to dismount it to be able to move it in my darkroom in the
>basement but as this thing has lots of electronics and cabling and I don't
>have the technical manual (but I managed to find the user manual, me lucky !),
>I'm not completely confident that I'll be able to re-mount it correctly.
>And more than that, each sub-part may still be pretty tricky to handle as it
>is built like a tank.
>The second idea was to move it to the basement through a large window in the
>friends' room but one of the doors between it and the darkroom is narrower
>than the beast.
>So, I'll probably convert the garage into a second darkroom, dry side only, to
>enlarge (or reduce !) there and develop in the basement ...
>
>Has anyone ever used this camera (I may need some advices) or converted a
>similar tool into an enlarger ?

I used the agfa mark 3 repro as a camera for a bit, but left it back in
Ireland.  For modest enlargement on my repro camera the base could be
illuminated, and I used to use this for producing an enlarged "contact sheet"
from 4 4x5's at a time:- obviously this would also work for a simgle 8x10.  I
put the paper on the top deck where the film would normally go.   I also used
it as an extremely large format camera by putting a mirror under the lens so it
looked out horizontally. There was some vigneting by the legs but using a paper
negative  this was a fun system to play with.  Mr CAD in London is a good
source for very big sheets of film 16x20 etc..
All the best
Larry Cuffe