[pure-silver] Re: RB Graflex

  • From: AhYouBecky@xxxxxxx
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 02:48:12 EST

In a message dated 2/2/2005 6:49:31 PM Pacific Standard Time, genej2@xxxxxxx
writes:
I'm so jazzed.  I've been working on an old 3x4 RB Graflex for a few weeks.
I went through the key mechanicals and made sure that the focus on the
groundglass was in synch with the film plane and so forth. Cleaned and lubed
the
Shutter innards, checked for light leaks, the usual stuff. No attention to
cosmetics at all. I decided today I'd give it a test with a graflex 6x9 roll
back and
a really crappy looking 20's vintage Kodak anastigmat with a thin ring of
separation on the rear group.  Holy smoke!  A picture of the valley below my
house looks like it came out of my Koni-Omega!  Really sharp and surprisingly
good
contrast at f8. I figured that focal plane shutter would make the image all
blurred with vibration and it couldn't be any good.  I'd heard that the Graflex
backs didn't hold the film flat and weren't any good. Man was I wrong.  It's
also surprisingly user friendly. I'm planning to use it for portraits under
hot lights, but I think I'll be using it quite a bit for
other stuff too. I have another old RB Tele hulk in 4x5 that will soon be put
into action!
Sorry to bore everyone.  I'm all excited :)

It's NEVER boring to read about the excitment of someone and their camera! :)