[pure-silver] Re: R3 Evaluation results

  • From: "Claudio Bonavolta" <claudio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 15:30:30 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Woodhouse" <chris.woodhouse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 24, 2004 12:36 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] R3 Evaluation results

> I spent the first few days of the holiday trying out the Rollei R3 film in
> their special slow developer and compared it to Tri X and Ultrafin.
>
> I tried R3 exposed at EI 50 in Maco developer and Ultrafin 1+30 and compared
> it to Tri X @ EI 200 in Ultrafin 1+20. Development was carried out at 24C
> and in a Jobo processor, with a pre-soak in all cases, as per the
> instructions. A range of times was tried for each combination. Foot speed
> was evaluated at Z1.5 @ D0.17 above f&f.
>
> Frankly I was wholeheartedly disappointed. The R3 film is springy and it
> does not lie flat, for instance to make contact strips. It does not have any
> rebate markings, so referring to frame numbers is impossible. In my batch of
> 10 films, two had broken spools, which upon removal from the plastic case,
> immediately exposed the entire film from the rebate edge.
>
> In its own R3 developer, the film has a very straight characteristic and
> achieved a speed of EI35 with an average gradient of 0.55. In Ultrafin, it
> picked up a stop of speed at the same gradient and with a highlight
> roll-off.
>
> Tri-X which currently beats Tmax 400 for grain in Ultrafin, achieved about
> EI350 and a slow roll-off from midtones.
>
> However the big surprise was grain. At equivalent contrast indexes, 3 test
> prints were made at a medium enlargement and then scanned at 1600dpi. The
> Tri-X has slightly better grain than R3 for a skin tone.
>
> All-in all, IMHO, R3 is a missed opportunity and for Rollei to suggest it
> may be a replacement for technical films is ludicrous. Sometimes films are
> designed with a specific purpose in mind, for which they shine, but it beats
> me, what that is with this film.
>
> If anyone wants a copy of the scans (0.5 Mbyte JPEG) I can send them.
>

> --
> Regards Chris Woodhouse ARPS

there.

Thanks Chris for your comments.
It doesn't surprise me that much, there was to much packaging/marketing around
this film, we've
already seen that with other films (Gigabitfilm, ...).
I'm afraid we'll encounter other "marvels" like this one in the near future as
the giants are slowly
leaving the place ...

Regards,
Claudio Bonavolta