[pure-silver] Re: Printing-Out-Paper in Europe?

  • From: Aditya Mandayam <adityams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 09:40:00 +0200

Dear Eric,

The Solio I have was given to me by Julio Cordero Jr, grandson of
Julio Cordero, the preeminent Bolivian photographer
(http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julio_Cordero). I was fortunate enough
to work in Cordero Sr.'s darkroom in La Paz, Bolivia, preserved in
situ for the past hundred odd years.

To work amongst decades-old stoppered bottles and wipe away cobwebs
from processes unknown was alchemy. Cordero Jr. showed me his
grandfather's darkroom cookbook, full of Andean recipes for collodion
and daguerreotype and other exotic methods.

Unfortunately the vast Cordero archive lies in disarray. The Bolivian
state cares little for it, and the many hundreds of thousands of
prints, glass negatives and rare accoutrements that are crammed in
there are gathering dust. Last I heard a museum from Spain would stop
by and pick up pieces at a pittance willy-nilly.

These photos were made in that very darkroom: http://cixa.org/tata/
and http://cixa.org/monstrous/

The link you sent me are a shop based in NY. I have another source,
based in Japan: http://www.theprints.jp/english/pop.htm

Any ideas from anyone on where I can find POP in Europe?

Cheers,