[pure-silver] Re: Printing emuslion side up. Why?

  • From: Snoopy <snoopy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 14:21:19 +0200

Hia dear Bogdan et. al.,

emulsion side up is worng in my book: its emulsion should face emulsion, i.e. negative emulsion side down, paper emulsion side up ("sunny side up").

I would say the rule also has something to do with protection: when you have the neg emulsion side down in the enlarger you resp. your negative benefits:

1- the film base/carrier material blocks some of the heat from the lamp. I believe in the days of yore some film bases were especially made to block infrared/heat. This was a big plus over the old acetate film bases which were very flammable and would spontaneously ignite in the enlargers.

2- You protect the emulsion from scratches: a lot of negative carriers in the enlarger have a glass plate on top for the film base side and no glass on the emulsion side of the negative. They know why...and its not to save the cost of a slab of glass: its to make sure nothing ever scratches the emulsion.

So if you do this the other way round, best to have a glass free negative mount.

3- likewise: dust falls down. Hence if you stick the negative into the carrier any dust settles on the (relatively hard) carrier base rather than the (more sensitive) emulsion. When you then pull out the negative carelessly the dust can only scratch the top of the carrier, not the emulsion. Hence less damage and also its far easier to "patch" or "varnish" the even and smooth carrier rather than the emulsion side.

4- Also if you turn the negative emulsion side up, you get a mirror image on the print. Thats OK for abstract subjects (and can be a really cool effect for portraits or nudes, try it!) but for subjects with neon signs, road signs etc. or anything concrete enough this can look wrong or strange. Like suddenly all the cars are the wrong side of the road etc.

By the way, for some really cool abstraction you might also want to try turning the paper face down. Works best with RC paper (with NO company logo printed on the back...) and you need a lot longer exposure, but things do come out.

Love
Snoopy

At 05:26 AM 9/2/2006, you wrote:
Hi all,

Sounds like a dumb question but why do the "They" always say that you have to print with the emulsion side up, towards the light source? Is there a technical reason for this?

The reason I ask is that this afternoon I was printing a 4x5 neg to 11x14. The neg is part of a series of abstracts I'm doing using just twigs, leaves, petals, pebbles on a black backround.

To cut to the chase, this afternoon, I had a neg that gave what I wanted when I put it in the neg holder, emulsion side down. I was the only way to get the position I wanted. Print was beautiful, just what I wanted. For comparisons sake, I printed the same neg, emulsion side up, different position, of course, but I wanted to see if there was something different, materially different, about the first print because it had ben printed emulsion side down. Sorry, but I couldn't see a difference. There is the fact that I am biased towards the first print which I like the best and that may be blinding me towards something else. Is there something specific that I should be looking for and then comparing that something specific in each print. I have a feeling that it may have something to do with the focus....Vaguely remember reading texts and teachers Darkroom 101 saying that you had to put the neg emulsion side up into the filmholder, the reason being........???????

Like I said, it's probably very obvious but I'm ignoring it.

If anybody has any ideas, they are welcome.

Cheers,
Bogdan
  Bogdan Karasek
  Montréal, Québec            e-mail: bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx