[pure-silver] Re: Portraits [Was Fees ]

  • From: Bob Randall <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:22:11 -0500

On 4/21/06 1:54 PM, "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But would you say that the style is the dominant style today?

Depends on where you look. In Karsh's day, photography was not easy and
didn't have the support of mass appeal. It was expensive and required time.
That same criteria applies to a good many photographers today, but their
number is dwarfed by the people that have access to point and shoot instant
gratification. If you look at the quality photographers of today you will
see the same dedication and beautiful results as in the past. You just have
to look through a much greater amount of clutter. To put the time frame of
the past in perspective, 30 years ago I worked in a catalog studio as an
apprentice to Jacque LaBashe. He was 70 at the time. In his 20's, he
apprenticed for Steichen. LaBashe would tell of making the first color
separations in a wood field camera using tri-color filters while the camera
was bolted to the floor to insure stillness. He would make exposures based
on a piece of string with knots at certain intervals to determine the
distance a light was from the subject. I might add that Karsh probably
worked in the same manner as LaBashe. If I can draw a conclusion from my
experience, its' that the photographer of today probably produces a better
image than photographers from the past. Today's subjects aren't melting and
they aren't stiff from lack of movement. The equipment is better as are the
supplies. If you look through the clutter (LaChappelle, Cindy Sherman, my
next door neighbor and all his friends with a camera) you will find a world
of photographers (Greg Heisler, Mark Seliger, HerbRitts, Dennis
Manarchy....) that Karsh would be proud to call friends. So yes, it is the
dominant style of good photography today.

Bob