[pure-silver] Re: Portrails [Was Fees ]

  • From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:35:44 -0400

<quote who=Ryuji Suzuki] date=[21/04/2006 14:02/>

> But at the same time I somehow think those people wouldn't be the same
> when their portrait phots are taken. (Especially if compared to when
> Churchill is drinking Martini, aka straight gin with olive. And don't
> try to photograph anyone after drinking---waste of time---unless it's
> for event photo.)

    Portraits have changed a lot. The standard Portrait is no longer in
vogue. Look at what makes most magazines (Vanity Fair etc). Gimmicks
appear to play huge in today's Portrait world.

    If you look at Contemporary Landscapes and Classic Landscapes it's
as if the same change has happened to portraits. Dare I say Avedon
started it all?

     Contemporary Landscapes in general has been trying to show the
uglier side of the world and either show it warts and all or show it as
a sense of beauty: Edward Burtynsky.

     I recent visit to the Contemporary Museum of Photography in Ottawa
and they had made some recent acquisitions of Contemporary landscapes. I
hated all of them. My girlfriend was even less impressed then I.

    Right after, we strolled through Le Chateau Laurier and looked at
the Karsh pieces. My girlfriend (who is from the south of France) said
"wow, he's Canadian? So you Canadians really can take pictures and not
just play hockey!

     But you know what? I think it'll all come full circle. Karsh and
the others and their style will eventually come back.

Justin F. Knotzke
jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.shampoo.ca