[pure-silver] Re: Old film holders

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:21:26 -0600

Another way is to put some film in them, leave them in the light for a while, and then develop the film.

--shannon

On Nov 14, 2007, at 7:38 AM, Martin Jangowski wrote:

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Richard Knoppow wrote:

It depends partly on the make and type of holders and just how old they are. The best of the old ones are the Riteway holders, made by Graflex. These were probably the most accurate when new and seem to hold up without warping or other problems. All holders should be checked. The distance to the septum should be measured using a depth micrometer. A test fixture can be made from a sheet of sheet metal thick enough to prevent its warping with a few holes drilled in it for the micrometer probe. Measure the thickness of the fixture and subtract that from the measurement. I generally measure with film in the holder. Measurements should be made near each corner and at the center to detect warping.

A satisfactory method for a quick check without a micrometer has been described in "Way Beyond Monochrome". It uses a steel ruler, a toothpick and a clothspin. Just use the clothspin to fasten a toothpick to the steel ruler. Lower the ruler until its edge touches the rim of the holder and the toothpick is in the middle of the opening. It will slide until it just touches bottom. Mark the pick flush with the upper edge of the ruler. You can move the ruler around (always touching two adjascent sides of the holder) and easily see if the edges of the holder are in the same plane with the center. It is equaly easy to compare different holders, just don't move your depth-measuring toothpick ;-)

Grüße aus Hohenlohe,

        Martin Jangowski

| Martin Jangowski                         E-Mail: Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx|
|                        Netzwerke und Multimedia                     |
| Voice: +49 7946/3723                           Fax: +49 7946/940791 |
| Snail Mail: Von-Olnhausen Str. 4            74626 Bretzfeld Germany |