[pure-silver] Old Kodak Lenses

  • From: "Gene Johnson" <genej2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:32:23 -0800

I've been shooting quite a bit with 3 old Kodak lenses lately out of pure
coincidence.  A 170mm f6.3 Tessar in a Compound, a 6 3/8 inch Anastigmat in a
barrel, and a 80mm Anastar on a Kodak Reflex II TLR.  I am very impressed with
all 3 of them for sharpness and contrast (lack of coating considered where
appropriate) even wide open. All but the Anastar are uncoated.  All exhibit
excellent OOFA qualities too.  I now have all I need, so I'll tell everyone.
Don't be afraid of buying them because they're so cheap.  I am now a believer,
Kodak made darn good lenses.
Richard, and anyone else, I've done some portrait work with this 6 3/8
Anastigmat, and frankly I just love it.  It softens just slightly wide open and
generally gives very pleasant skintone rendition.  I've never heard anything
good said about Tessar designs for this purpose, with Heliars and such getting
all the ink.  Is there some technical reason for Tessars to be poopoo'd for
portraiture?