[pure-silver] Re: Old Film and Pack Adapter Questions

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 17:06:46 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Reynolds" <reynolds@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 9:11 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Old Film and Pack Adapter Questions

>A while ago I bought a Graflex Century Graphic (from
>someone on the
> old pure-silver if I recall correctly).  In addition to a
> pair of RH-8
> and RH-12 roll film holders the camera came with seven
> sheet film
> holders and a pack film adapter.  The sheet film holders
> and the pack
> film adapter are loaded with Tri-X Pan Professional.  The
> previous
> owner hand't realized that the sheel film holders were
> loaded (I
> fogged a sheet finding that out), so this is all old film.
> I have two
> questions.
>
> 1) Any recomendations about exposure and processing for
> old Tri-X Pan
>   Professional that has probably sat in various closets
> for years?
>   I'll probably had this film off to the lab that does my
> E-6
>   processing since I haven't set up a darkroom in my new
> house yet.
>   I'm not planning on using this film for anything
> critical, I just
>   want to have some fun.
>
> 2) How do I use the pack film adapter?  It is already
> loaded.  After
>   attaching the adapter tot he camera and pulling the dark
> slide, do
>   I pull the paper tab before or after taking the
> exposure?  The
>   first tab is numbered 0, so I think I should pull the
> tab to expose
>   sheet 1, and then make the exposure.
>
> By the way Uncle Dick, if you're not opposed to using roll
> film (and
> losing expsoure/development control, or carrying more
> holders), roll
> film holders would be one way to take advantage of the
> really low
> pricing of 6x9 cameras.

    As for the Tri-X processing hasn't much changed for it
for years. Data sheets for the "old" Tri-X are still on the
Kodak web site. Old film tends to become foggy. If its not
exposed film expose it at about half the ISO speed and
process normally. If its exposed give it normal processing.
Film pack Tri-X is the same emulsion as used on roll Tri-X.
    A starting point is D-76, undiluted: 8 minutes @ 68F,
small tank agitation or 7 minutes in a tray with constant
agitation.
    Film packs are very simple, just pull the tab and tear
it off. The first tab is a "dark slide". Pulling that will
uncover the first film. After that you must use the
adaptor's dark slide. After making an exposure pull the next
tab to bring the next film around to the front of the film
pack. Film pack film is on a thin support much like roll
film. Film packs were very commonly used on cameras designed
for glass plates. I don't remember when Kodak discontinued
them but its been more than a decade.

---