[pure-silver] OT: electricity required to distill water (was Re: [pure-silver] Re: Deionized Water-Advantages & Sources?)

  • From: "Dana H. Myers" <dana.myers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 12:27:57 -0700

Koch, Gerald wrote:
> Sorry I wasn't clear, I have my own electric still.  Is the water that I
> distill cheaper than store bought.  I've often wondered.

That's a very good question.  I spent $30 for a P3 Kill-A-Watt
meter and it's been amazing to see what various things around the
house cost to operate.

I *think* we can estimate the minimum electrical cost to distill water
by starting with the latent heat to boil water.  I figure it takes
about 650 watt-hours to boil 1 liter of water, or about 2.5kW/h to
boil 1 gallon.  At the top residental rate of $0.29 per kW-hour that
I pay in the SF Bay Area, this is just under 75 cents a gallon.

Dana