[pure-silver] Re: Mounting using foamboard?

  • From: "Dave Valvo" <dvalvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 23:22:54 -0800

Foamboard can be used but you may want to laminate a top sheet to it to hide
the foam core at the beveled edge.  You can laminate a cover sheet using
Fusion tissue and any product you want to use as a cover. Even cloth.  I've
made some very unique matte boards using this technique.  Secret is to cut
each matte using a new blade.  Then, the second secret is to put the fall
out into the hole when you laminate the cover sheet to the matte board.  Be
sure to wrap the Fusion and cover sheet around the beveled edge.  Tack it
from the other side before putting it into the heat press.  The fall out
will make the cover sheet attach to the beveled edge perfectly.  (Be sure
you previously marked the fall out before cutting it with a line so you can
tell the correct orientation for putting it back in.)   I've made some
mattes using dish towels and foam core boards with this method.

Until you are sure what you are doing perhaps your local framer will give
you some scrap to play with.  Make 8 x 10's or even 6 x 8's before moving up
to larger sizes.

Dave