[pure-silver] Re: Mounting question

  • From: John Meyers <jmeyers102@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 12:43:58 -0800 (PST)

Your're right that dry mounting is not cheap, whether
you farm out the job or do it yourself. The prices you
quoted, however, seem pretty reasonable to me. $12-18
to dry mount a 16 x 20 print sounds pretty reasonable,
at least for the northern NJ, NYC area where I am.

Regarding dry mount presses, you can always search on
ebay. Here are two that are on there right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Seal-Jumbo-160-Mount-Laminating-Press_W0QQitemZ7579066337QQcategoryZ25317QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Seal-Jumbo-150-Industrial-Dry-Mount-Mounting-Press_W0QQitemZ7579076127QQcategoryZ29985QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The condition on both of these doesn't seem to good,
but others are always being offered for sale, and even
when figuring in the high cost of shipping such a
heavy item, you'll still spend way less than what
you'd pay for a new one.

Also, remember that your dry mount press doesn't have
to be as large as the large prints you are mounting.
You could get a smaller press and mount your print in
sections (first press one half, then turn it around
and press the other half). 15 x 18 dry mount presses
are significantly cheaper. You might also consider
looking on craigslist, and at estate sales and garage
sales in your area. In the last couple of years or so,
I have bought two 15 x 18 dry mount presses, each for
$25.

$5 per sheet for 20 x 24 mount board seems very
inexpensive, at least if it's a 4-ply board.  Light
Impressions (www.lightimpressionsdirect.com) has a
large selection of dry mount board and other
materials. It's good stuff, but not cheap. For
example, their Exeter Conservation Board goes for
$136.95 for 25 sheets of 4-ply mount board, or $68.95
for 2-ply board. I'm sure there are many other sources
that can be found on the web.

It all comes down to how much mounting you expect to
do in the future. The initial cost for the press and
other supplies and materials to do it yourself is a
little high up front, but eventually pays for itself.
If you don't expect that you'll be mounting a lot of
prints, just send out the ones you want to do.

Personally though, I'm glad to have my dry mount
press. I do some of my own mounting, but it's great
even just for flattening prints .

Good luck.
John Meyers