[pure-silver] Re: More Paper Names

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 20:43:06 -0700

Since Georges Giralt has encouraged me (blame him) here is some more. I have little or no information on some of these.
In the 1930s there was a paper called Tuma-Gas which was popular with exhibition photographers. It was distributed by a company in New York, but I have the ghost of a memory that it was made in Europe somewhere.
My 1937 Agfa catalogue shows a paper called Agfa Portrait Enlarging Paper, it also shows a portrait contact paper called Professional Cyko. The 1940 catalogue does not include these but does have Cykora and Cykon, which I believe were replacements. Inserted in this catalogue is a small, undated, folder announcing Cykora and Cykon as "new" papers. It also includes Speedex, a fast, blue-black, contact paper for automatic photofinishing printers.

My 1947 Ansco catalogue lists the contact papers Convira, Cykon, Proof. Special purpose papers, Speedex and Reflex. Projection papers Brovira, Cykora Indiatone, Projection Proof.
A 1974 data sheet in the Photo-Lab-Index lists Agfa Brovira, Portriga-Rapid, Contactone. The last is a fast contact paper for automatic printers. The Ilford section for the same date lists only Ilfobrome, a fast, cold tone, enlarging paper. GAF, the successor to Ansco, shows GAF Contact a printing out paper; GAV Vee Cee Rapid, a variable contrast cold tone projection paper; GAF Allura, a medium speed, warm tone, projection paper; GAF Mutigam, a variable contrast prjection paper on an RC base; and two panchromatic papers for making B&W prints from color negatives, one cold tone on single weight, the other warm tone on double weight support.
Ansco made some papers in the 1960's not included here. One was Ansco Jet, a medium speed neutral tone projection paper. I believe it was made to compete with Kodak Medalist.
Some Kodak papers that got left off the long list are Medalist, a medium speed, neutral to warm tone projection paper, Platino, a short lived paper, medium speed, warm tone projection. I believe this was to provide a faster warm tone paper than Opal, which was very slow. Ektalure, a moderately fast, very warm tone, projection paper. Perhaps even warmer than Opal.
Mural paper, a fast projection paper on a rough surface, single weight stock. Resisto and Resisto Rapid, early RC papers, Resisto for contact printing, Resisto Rapid for projection printing.
Some Kodak name changes. Kodak aquired the emulsions for some of its papers by buying out other companies. The old names persisted. Opal, Athena, and some others were prefaced by the name Vitava. Kodabromide was originally called Kodabrom, I think that name stuck in England for some time. More if I discover more.

---