[pure-silver] Re: Mercury I and Direct Positive Paper

  • From: Martin magid <martin.magid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pure Silver <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 08:23:25 -0500

Chauncey, the Mercury II was a significant upgrade, and allowed the use of
regular 35 mm cassettes, as we use today.  The camera really seems like a
great user, maybe the smoothest shutter among my many 35 mm cameras.  I've
owned several Leicas (none at the moment) and I like the operation of the
Mercury as well,as any of the Leicas.  Too bad it doesn't have
interchangeable lenses.

Bernard, the format is determined by the shape of the opening at the film
plane, and the Mercury is designed to be a half-frame 35 mm camera.  If I
want landscape format I have to turn the camera 90 degrees, but it will
still be half-frame.  In order to get a pano photo I have to take, say, 4
overlapping shots and combine them.

Marty