[pure-silver] Re: Many more images, less meaning

  • From: Dana Myers <dana.myers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 15:55:20 -0800

On 12/1/2012 3:36 PM, Bob Younger wrote:
After the Cedar Fire (OCT 2003) the only photos we had of our kids growing up and our first 28 years together were those prints we'd given away to people; pictures others had taken of our girls at birthday parties, picnics, and church events. I wonder after 25+ years how many digital files most people will still be able to find, let alone read.

Just to be fair, imagine if you'd made a couple of copies of a digital image
archive onto
a few external 1TB drives and given those away. You could have all of your
archive back
and make new prints. Even if one of those disk drives failed, you'd still have
another.

The "wonder if I can still read these files in 25 years" point is valid - it's
why one
don't just make one copy of an archive and forget about it. An archive is
maintained; if file formats change in a substantial way, an archive would be
brought forward - one can probably have a computer do it in most cases.

To the original point, I was recently looking through a large box of old
photos handed-down since the late 1940s. I can't say the expense of film
and processing back then kept my parents from taking a lot of meaningless
photos :-)  On the other hand, if that box contained a bunch of Exatron
Stringy Floppies, I'd never be able to read them.

Dana