[pure-silver] Re: Making a pinhole

  • From: Martin magid <martin.magid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pure Silver <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 10:09:40 -0500

I've made pinholes in body caos for several cameras, including my Hasselblad
X-Pan and my Canon A-1.  Some yearsago I purchased a package of severao
sheets of brass shim stock of various thickness from a hardwarestore, and
still have plenty left after quitea few pinhole adventures.   I make a 1/2"
hole in the body cap, larger tyan someone's suggested 1/4" because the light
is going to come from all directions and I want to oprevent vignetting.  I
won't go into the process of making the hole because here are instructions
on several pinhiole sites on the internet and on Youtube, buyt it's really
very easy.  There are also sites which give rhe optimal diameter of the hole
for various focal lengths.  I control that by using a micrometer (from my
Dad's days as a tool & die maker) and mark the spot in the needle where the
proper diameter occurs, and use that to determine where to stop pushing and
twirling the needle.

It takes me 20 or 30 minutes to makea good pinhole, a constant process of
making the hole bigger a littke at a time, lightlysanding the other side,
and reeating the porocess until you're there.

I disagree with the comment that all pinhole photos look like.  They differ
greatly depending on thesubject, and the qua