[pure-silver] Re: M.I.L.K. photo contest of 1999-2000

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 09:46:45 -0500

At 04:05 PM 12/6/2006 , you wrote:
>There was an outdoor exhibition of MILK super large prints at the Sydney
Opera
>House somewheree around 2000-2001 under their supervision, but I can't add
>anyhting to this. The books are freely available in Sydney.
>
>Regards - Ross

December 7, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

There were large shows in New York and London, also. But they sent out
notifications to some "winners " (like me...) that their work would not be
shown. Since I'm in Toronto, I was ready to go to New York, along with
Natalie and a grand child or two (who had been in the winning picture ...).
So that was a disappointment. Other than the displays around 2000-01, I
have heard of no public activity.

Of the 300 winning images, fifteen were from Canada (14 photographers; one
person placed two pictures). Yet nothing at all was made of this here in
Canada. I just find this amazing. Not to mention disheartening. Five per
cent of winners of a major world-wide photo competition are from Canada and
no one notices?

I know they produced a few advertisements around 2001, and some of the
images were used as stock photos on cards and writing paper.

Doesn't seem like it became the current 'Family of Man', to me ... (at
least the books are nice!)

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.