[pure-silver] Re: Life expectancy of chemicals

  • From: Howard Efner <hfefner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:52:55 -0700

On Dec 14, 2007, at 5:05 PM, Bogdan Karasek wrote:

Potassium Permanganate (28 grams) bought in 1999.
Potassium Bromide (anhydrous) (454 grams) bought in 1999.

Bogdan, they should be still good assuming that they have been stored in closed bottles and in a reasonably dry location.

My high school chemistry is a tad rusty (43 years ;) , so what is the difference between:

Potassium Bromide(anhydrous)
and
Potassium Bromide

They are the same thing and can be used interchangeably.

(My recipe for the Sepia toner (the bleach) I want to make calls for 100gr of Potassium Ferricyanide and 100 gr Potassium Bromide with water to make 2L; can Potassium Bromide(anhydrous) be substituted, if it's still good?)

Howard Efner - one of the "beaker heads" on the list.