[pure-silver] Leaky Linhof Bellows (the final story)

  • From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 13:49:19 +0100

A few weeks ago, I shared my leaky bellows problem and got some good advise.
Here is the outcome of the story.

I ordered the liquid latex from this German company. It¹s a good product and
easy to apply. As they recommend, many thin layers are better than few thick
layers. I can recommend the latex for a repair job, but it has a few
disadvantages. It doesn¹t looks shiny and is sticky, nothing like the
outside of the Linhof bellows. After applying the talcum powder (white), the
bellows look really old and just plain ugly. I don¹t know if someone makes
black talcum powder, but I¹d rather live without it than using it again.
Also the outside of the bellows are made from smooth vinyl (or similar), and
the latex doesn¹t adhere to that very well. As soon as a tiny bit peels of
and you try to pull it, the whole string of latex comes of. Using a smaller
brush than I did and getting the latex only into the pinholes would help but
was too difficult for me.

In the end, I ordered replacement bellows from Camera Bellows in Birmingham.
I had the opportunity to go there to pick them up after sending in my own
frames. What a neat company, and very nice people to deal with to. They
showed me around offered some coffee and gave me the whole tour, showed me
how bellows are made now and in 1895 when they made their first bellows.
Highly recommended source!

I opted not to go for the standard double-tapered design again. I believe
that design to be the root cause of my premature bellows deterriation. It is
needed if you want to leave the bellows on when the camera is folded
together for transport or storage. But this is causing extra wear on the
bellows. I think it¹s far better to take the bellows of before folding the
camera. It¹s easy and fast to do. The new bellows have a simpler
single-tapered design and should last longer than the original bellows. I
should be fine for at least 20 more years, if not more.

I would still recommend the latex for small repairs, but if the bellows are
as far gone as mine were, a good replacement is the better option. I paid 85
GBP, Linhof wanted 600 Euros.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht