[pure-silver] Re: Kodak to stop making Cameras

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 09:15:42 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee" <michaelandpaula@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 4:47 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Kodak to stop making Cameras

The Kodak Master View lens board is 6x6 inches. Not small at all, Richard. We have five of Kodak Master Views plus one as a parts camera. I think the KMV is the best 8x10 view camera ever made. My first one, purchased in 1967 cost me $89.50. Those were the days.

We have had Kodak Master View lens boards made by a master machinist. We sell them for $125. They are made from aircraft aluminum and are better than the original boards. Over the years, we had lens boards made by a number of machinists, but none were ever really perfect until these. The machinists told me they originally copied the original board, but it wasn't quite perfect. They told me there is something about it that is more subtle than at first appears. They ended up making a tool to make the lens boards.

Michael

For some reason I think of the Masterview board as being small. This is the metal folding camera. Kodak seems to have standardized on 6"x6" lens boards for its cameras except for the big studio cameras. I am having a memory tickle that there was an early Kodak folding view camera with similar configuration to the Masterview but can't quite pull it out.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL