[pure-silver] Re: ID-11 development times.

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:06:23 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Stoney" <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 11:17 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] ID-11 development times.

I got some ID-11 yesterday and mixed it today. I was looking at the recommended times for developing film on the inside of the box, and it says to develop HP5+ for 13 minutes in 1+1 solution! In DDX, the recommendation is only nine minutes. I add some time to this because my tests show that my paper scale is 1.2 and longer development is needed, at least in DDX. If I add about the same percentage of time to the ID-11 time that Ilford gives, that would be almost 16 minutes! I'm wondering if such long development might negate any reduction in grain.

--shannon

I shouldn't. I am not sure what contrast Ilford standardized on for its development times. Kodak times are based on diffusion printing and somewhat less time can be given (along with somewhat greater exposure) if one uses a condenser enlarger. I think Ilford uses a compromise value. In any case, if the time is too long you can use full strength developer and cut the time by about 30 percent. The full strength developer in theory should yield slightly finer grain but my experience with D-76 is that its not detectable in practice. If this is a new combination I would try a test roll before doing anything important.

---