[pure-silver] Re: Henri Cartier-Bresson "Pen, Brush and Camera"

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 12:56:11 -0600

On 02/05/2015 12:49 PM, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Another alternative is the Ruku devices.  A bit more than $40, but lets you do
> so many other things, and it too comes with a way to get apps to hook to the
> streaming services.
>
> Anyone had any success getting images to successfully display on the new
> massive
> TV's or at least massive by my standards.  Then again I come from a time when
> we
> had to have two TVs on to watch.  The tube that was out on one set took out
> the
> picture, but the sound worked.  The other the sound was out, but the picture
> was
> fine.  The remote control was who was closest, but it really didn't matter.
> For
> the longest time we only got one channel.
>
> If someone has found a way, to get the different tones of gray, or the colors
> right, and I am assuming there probably is a way to calibrate a TV.  My
> efforts
> have been total failures.  Tried the DVD, but again there may have been
> something I was doing or not doing causing the poor results.  The set has a
> USB
> port.  Anyone get good results from a thumb drive straight into the set?
>
> Still I wondered how a well done black and white would work on a 50 inch hi
> def
> 3 d.   Anyone with ideas, it would be appreciated.

To do this, you have to be able to calibrate the Lookup Table in the electronics
driving the panel.  The only way I know to do this is to use a real computer
and the TV panel as its display.  You then use a colorimeter device to calibrate
the display and save the lookup table offsets into a standard color profile.

HOWEVER, it is doubtful that any TV will have the required dynamic range and
certainly not the color space to faithfully render a silver photograph.   For
computers, photo capable monitors do exist and they've come down in price a lot.
Dell makes a 24" model for around $500.  But, I am aware of no TV that does
this.  There are larger photo capable computer monitors but they get pricey in a
hurry.