[pure-silver] Re: Good news from Ilford

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:39:23 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Swinnard" <davidswinnard@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2005 5:22 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Good news from Ilford

Richard, I am assuming the Microdol X is still available - I just
haven't seen it recently around here (though I do admit to not actively
seeking it so maybe my blinders are on...)

You mention dichro fog... Is D-23 susceptible to this? I've been using
the Perceptol at 1+3 for sharpness with Acros so perhaps just plain old
D23 (diluted) will do the trick.

I like the FX-39 but can't justify running to Seattle for it (and having
it shipped across the border runs the cost way up - everybody who
touches it wants their cut.)

Dave

D-23 does not seem to have the same problem with dichroic fog that the extra-fine-grain developers do. Dichroic fog is a deposit of metallic silver all over the negative. The silver comes from the emulsion and is the result of the relatively large amount of silver halide solvent action of the fine grain developers. D-25, for instance, is D-23 buffered to neutral pH. Metol still develops at neutral pH but slowly. The extra fine grain property of D-25 is partly due to the long time of development during which the Sodium Sulfite can work on the halide grains and is partly due the lack of emulsion swelling. It may have other factors also. Microdol-X is similar to D-25 but contains Sodium chloride as a fine grain agent. Grant Haist mentions this in _Modern Photographic Processing_ but not in much detail. I don't fully understand how the sodium chloride functions to reduce the graininess. Nonethless, Microdol has a similiar problem with having a large quantity of dissolved silver halide in it which can be converted by the developer into metallic silver and deposited on the negative. Microdol-X appears to have a sequestering agent to keep the silver in solution. Again, Haist mentions this but does not go into detail other than to speculate that the agent may be a Mercaptan.
Other very fine grain developers also have problems with dichroic fog, particularly the old formulas using Para phenylenediamine. PPD is a silver halide solvent itself. This is one reason for its very fine grain development. Note that these solvents do not dissolve the developed silver grains but rather affect the way the silver crystals develop from the exposed halide grains. Keeping the pH near neutral tends to minimize migration of developed silver crystals toward each other, an effect known as clumping. This is related to softening and swelling of the gelatin. The pH for minimum swelling of photographic gelatin is near neutral pH.

---