[pure-silver] Re: Gainer PC/Antifreeze formula

  • From: "Gene Johnson" <genej2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:44:20 -0800

Sure.

Heat 500ml of antifreeze to 200 to 250 deg in the microwave.

Add (one thing at a time):
50g Ascorbic acid (mine from the healthfood store)
1.25gm (5/8 teaspoon)phenidone
1gm KBr

It'll take some swirling and a few minutes for everything to dissolve.

Use it 10ml stock to 500ml water with
1/2 teaspoon borax (20 mule team)
1/2 teaspoon washing soda (arm and hammer)

Times for straight D-76 are very close for everything I've tried
(TMX,TMY,Fuji Neopan 400, Acros, Delta 400)

Here's what I've been using for print developer with very happymaking
neutral tone results:

E72

1/27/2001

The most hazardous component in traditional Dektol is the Hydroquinone. The
EPA lists this agent as an airborne carcinogen. So, even if you are not
going to try E72, do buy your paper developer in liquid form.

FORMULA [to make one liter]:

      0.4 grams
     phenidone

      45 grams
     sodium sulfite

      19 grams
     vitamin C (powdered)

      90 grams
     sodium carbonate

Use exactly the same developing times as traditional Dektol. Dilute 1:2 to
use.

There is some affect of aging on this developer, it gets stronger over the
period of a couple of weeks.

You can get the powdered Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) from health food stores.
[Do not use sodium ascorbate in place of ascorbic acid (Vit C)]

To make with Gainer's Antifreeze solution which uses 2.5 grams of Phenidone
and 100 grams of ascorbic acid  per liter:

150ml of Gainers concentrate

2 tablespoons Sodium Sulfite

4 teaspoons sodium carbonate

4 teaspoons borax