[pure-silver] Re: Fuji Acros 100 Shelf-life mystery

  • From: Russ Gorman <rusty57@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:33:37 -0700

On Jul 20, 2005, at 3:24 AM, Edward C. Zimmermann wrote:

A friend just reported that he used some Fuji Acros that was
- refigerated
- expired by a few months
- 2x Airport X-ray exposure (international airports in Germany and Greece)
(the Greek machines are very modern and where installed as part of Olympic
security and I've had films run more than a few times through them)
- exposed at E.I. 80
- film stored at room tempeature for 2 weeks
- film exposed within 1 week of exposure.

While the fresh film using his developer--- confirmed to be fine, well tested
and of fresh production (the batch too has been tested and variables such as
water quality and temperature controlled)--- produced excellent results this
roll of film came out thin and without hardly any shadow detail.

Does this make sense? Can the sensitivity of Acros drop off the planet
as it gets on in age?

Ideas? Speculations?
--
Edward C. Zimmermann, Basis Systeme netzwerk, Munich
Office Leo (R&D):

http://www.nonmonotonic.net

When I've come across similar problems with thin negatives it a has always turned out to be- development time, temp, or dilution. Were any other rolls processed in the same tank at the same time? How do they look?
If they are fine, then I would check the camera shutter and meter.

                Russ Gorman Photography
                     Portland Oregon
<http://www.russgormanphotography.com>