[pure-silver] Re: Focusing a Verito

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 12:03:29 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "mail1" <mail1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 10:02 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Focusing a Verito

Richard, I also would be interested in the Veritar pdf as I have a
Rodenstock Imagon.
Thanks, Jonathan
Jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There is an Imagon instruction manual on the cameraeccentric site at http://www.cameraeccentric.com Its in the form of jpg images which must be downloaded one page at a time but its easy to combine them by using PDF Creator, a small program that installs as a printer and will convert any printable document into a PDF. While the Imagon is also based on a mensicus lens corrected for color but not completely for spherical aberration it also relys on special stops which fit on the front of the lens. The stops have a central opening and also peripheral perforations. These server the double purpose of changing the ratio of light entering the center vs: the periphery of the lens. Since the softness is from uncorrected spherical aberration the amount depends on where the light enters the lens, the closer to the center the sharper the focus. The perforations probably also provide some softness by diffusion and perhaps by the formation of multiple out of focus images since each will function as a pin-hole lens. Because the Imagon has more degrees of variation than the Veritar its use is somewhat different. For instance, there is no iris, the effective stop being controlled by the front stops which also control the relative softness. I will attempt to send you the Veritar booklet. Its nearlly 3 mb so I have had some trouble sending it because it tends to make the Earthlink mail server choke. I got an error message last time even though it came through OK.