[pure-silver] Re: Fixer

  • From: harry kalish <hksvk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 19:01:16 -0500

In the first place, the small piece of roomlight exposed film leader was not
pre-wetted, and the second piece of roomlight exposed film leader also was
not pre-wetted. The concentrated fixer from the factory did not clear the
film, but the working solution of Hypam (1+4) cleared film within 30
seconds. Ilford gives the pH as 5.0-5.5, so I guess it is an acid fixer.
With added hardener, the pH is 4.5-5.0.

I am convinced that the ammonium thiosulphate needs to be in aquous
solution, ie., diluted, in order to fix film, quite likely for the reason
tritisol states below.

Thanks for all the help with this.

Harry.