[pure-silver] Dear Mr. Brick

  • From: "Stein" <rstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 08:58:35 +0800

Dear Mr. Brick,

     Good Morning. It is a bright sunny day in Perth and a deep velvety
black in my darkroom. The safelight globe has gone. I am currently trying to
wrap a standard globe in a pair of old red footy socks to see if it will
work - this is by no means certain as the socks have not been washed since
the 1975 Premiership and may be a little vigorous once heated.

    While this letter is much in the way of a testing of the waters to see
if this old computer can learn new URLs, I do have a real, on-topic, pure
silver question.

     I recently purchased as much Ilford 4 x 5 sheet film as I could stagger
out the door with on the resonable assumption that the world was coming to
an end and I wanted pictures of it happening. I have sealed them in big
square Tupperware containers and stacked them in the freezer section of the
film fridge. If they are going to be age-arrested at that low temperature I
will continue to buy new boxes of Ilford sheet film as long as it is on the
market and just rotate through the supply.

     My question is - how dormant is that FP4 Plus and HP5 going to be? If
it is a 2007 expiry date can it go on to 2012? And will I be able to do the
same trick with Kodak Portra 160 VC in sheet form if anything untoward
happens in the marketplace?

    I realise that this seems a little like the Panic Dance, but that is
sometimes the best choreography to use here in Western Australia when it
comes to the supply line. I have long learned that when I see an article
such as a piece of equipment or a book that really appeals, I move heaven
and the Mastercard company to buy it on the spot - because it will never be
re-stocked by the shop.

    And yet....I can still see Gilligan's Island on the television as many
times as I want. Life is cruel.

    Uncle Dick