[pure-silver] Re: DIY enlarger - from your 1936 kitchen

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 02:10:49 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

-----Original Message-----

      Projects of this sort abound in magazines of the depression period.
Another place to find them is in amateur radio magazines, chassis made of pie
tins etc. People simply didn't have any money and did what they could to
accomplish their desires with makeshifts. Better a makeshift than nothing.
      I am not sure when Kodak began to sell little packets of chemicals. My
guess is the early 1930's. By the late 1940s they were selling the Kodak
Tri-Chem Pak, which had a packet of Kodak Universal Developer, stop bath, and
hypo. Enough for a couple of rolls of film or contact prints from a roll.
Universal developer was something like milder Dektol, suitable for either film
or paper. My first roll of film was developed in this stuff. My dad took a
course in simple photography and brought home a Kodak darkroom in a box. Of
course, I was the one to took up photography, I don't think his law practice
ever allowed him time.
      The kit had a couple of the chemical packs, three little trays, film
clips, a packet of Velox and some other stuff including a ruby lamp. This was
nearly sixty years ago and I can still see the film coming up in my mind. An
epiphany if ever there was one.