[pure-silver] Cutting costs

  • From: Joel Alpers <joel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 22:46:39 -0600

I have a suggestion for reducing costs for the print exchange, at the expense of incurring a bit more work for Bob:

If each of us were to mail our (10, or 11, or 12 - whatever we are up to when the dust settles ;) prints directly to Bob, and includes "sufficient" postage (i.e. enough to cover Bob's packaging and return postage costs, plus maybe some extra $$$ to make the extra effort that Bob would go to worthwhile) --- he could re-package them, and mail one full package out to each participant.

Mailing 12 prints to ONE address is WAY cheaper than mailing 1 print to 12 addresses... think of it - I would much rather send 12 prints to Bob, along with a $20 bill, than mail 1 print to 12 people! Just an example! I am making up the numbers here. But I know that I've spent $80 or more on mailing costs for these rounds in the past.

Think of it as the FedEx business model  ;)

It was done this way in a cabinet card print exchange I used to be in, and worked quite well. Janet, Barry, Micah and I also used this method (albeit informally) with a print exchange we did earlier this year.

There are details to work out - such as the increased cost of mailing to foreign countries - but I am convinced this could be set up to save us all considerable shipping costs...

Joel.