[pure-silver] Re: Canada visit

  • From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 14:56:02 -0400

About Nova Scotia:

This province is a peninsula shaped vaguely like a hammer head.  There are two
main roads; one bisects the hammerhead east to west and the other follows its
shoreline.  On the southern half there is Peggy's Cove (very picturesque) but
there are many small fishing villages in the southern half with good photo
opportunities.  Also a lighthouse nearby.  The northern half of the peninsula is
very rugged and mountainous, sparsely populated and somewhat reminiscent of
Scotland (which may account for the fact that so many Scots emigrated there.)
Be sure to stop and enjoy the Digby bay scallops and also view the tidal bore.
The Bay of Fundy has some of the highest tides in the world causing rivers to
flow backwards and at least one waterfall to be under water at high tide.  Boats
lie on the beach on their sides at low tide.  Cliffs along the bay are a source
of gem quality amethysts.  The weather can be sort of gray and overcast at this
time of year.  I know I shouldn't mention it here -- but if you are going to
shoot any color you should have a filter to warm things up if needed.  A
skylight filter is not enough.  Don't remember what I used (a CC5R, 10R??) but
it warmed things up nicely.

Nova Scotia, Quebec, and the Gaspe are my favorite places in Canada.

Jerry