[pure-silver] Re: Adding Sodium Sulfite to Sodium Thiosulfate.

  • From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 06:56:16 -0400

BOB KISS wrote:
> DEAR MICHAEL,
>       I seem to recall (so I checked my Adams book) that his formula for
> Amidol developer did not contain any alkaline salt accelerators (Sodium
> carbonate, Borax, etc) which lowered the pH except Sodium Sulfite which
> acted more as a preservative than an alkaline agent.  So acid stop bath is
> not much more effective in stopping Amidol developer than water because
> there is no alkaline accelerator to neutralize...which is how stop bath
> works with standard, higher pH developers.
>       I say this under correction by those with more knowledge than I
> (Eric Neilsen,  Mike Ware, etc) but I think it is so.
>               CHEERS!
>                       BOB

Actually, the sodium sulfite in typical formulations of amidol
developers provides the alkalinity required. Development occurs with pH
greater than 3 all the way up to 14, but fog goes up with increasing
alkalinity, and I believe oxidation does too. I put about 5 to 10grams
of citric acid in my amidol developers. When the pH gets down to 3,
activity stops. I do not remember offhand what the pH of SB-1 stop bath
is, but that is what I use with paper developed in an amidol developer.
It is cheap and I replace it frequently.

 ^^-^^ 06:40:01 up 13:13, 1 user, load average: 4.72, 4.75, 4.64