[puduvailug] Fwd: ITU Meets in Dubai this week to discuss Internet Governance

  • From: Prasanna Venkadesh <prasmailme@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 12:16:03 +0530

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mozilla <Mozilla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Subject: ITU Meets in Dubai this week to discuss Internet Governance
To: prasmailme@xxxxxxxxx

       The International Telecommunications Union convenes today in Dubai
to discuss among other topics Internet governance. The ITU is part of the
UN now and consists of representatives from governments around the world.
We've expressed our concerns about this process in two recent Mozilla blog
posts portions of which are included below:

"...we question the very assumption that a "binding global treaty," enacted
by member states alone, will be beneficial for the Internet or for global
society. The Internet needed no treaty to come into existence, to expand,
to flourish, and to transform global society. The Internet needed no
convocation of governments to facilitate the professed aims of the new
treaty. There is no reason to believe that a treaty will fill any current
need or cure any current defect.

To the contrary, there are reasons to believe that such a treaty, instead,
would be detrimental. Key aspectsappear to point to increases in government
control beyond the existing rule of law. Technology does not blossom by
government control.  Put simply, governments do not know best how to design
the future. Moreover, there are legitimate concerns that some governments
most interested in a new treaty may aim to limit free expression and
personal freedoms, to control political activities, and to violate the
security of their own citizens. Oddly, in the name of harmonization and
interoperability, some of the very attributes of the open Internet that we
value the most - open access, unrestricted connectivity and sharing,
content neutrality, and user choice - could be compromised."  Read
More<http://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2012/12/02/why-is-itu-governance-of-the-internet-a-bad-idea/>.

Geoffrey MacDougall and Tim Hwang on Mark Surman's team have been leading
the campaign from our end and created Mozilla - ITU, including web tools
<http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/ITU/> to help people express their voices. A
few contributors with domain expertise like Andrew Bridges have also helped
out a lot.

There's a broader Internet campaign arising in opposition to the ITU
effort. You can see some of it on Twitter #ITU or #freeopen among others.
Google's pretty active here as
well<http://www.google.com/takeaction/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=hpp&utm_campaign=12032012freeandopen_en>.

More to come.
* You're receiving this email because you're a registered Mozillian. We'll
send you timely and occasional organizational news and updates - meant just
for Mozillians. If you do not wish to receive these updates, please
unsubscribe here <jdavis@xxxxxxxxxxx?subject=Unsubscribe+Mozillians>. Read
the Mozilla Privacy Policy<http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/privacy-policy.html>
.*

Mozilla