Re: Any problems to report with larger capacity CF cards?

  • From: Michael Lang <michael.lang@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rays home <ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:40:59 +0200

Rays,

There is a significant difference between CompactFlash and SD cards, when
it comes to cards with bigger capacities. The SD card specification only
is for cards of up to two gigabytes. There are SD cards with four and
even eight gigabytes. But every manufacturer extends the capacity as he
thinks is best. Therefore it is very uncertain which  4 or 8 gb SD card
works on which machine if at all. The SD card organization has created a
new specification. The new cards are called SDHC (HC stands for high
capacity). This spec goes from 4 to 32 gigabytes.

The compactFlash card specification does not have this limit. If a
device supports FAT32, and the Plextalks do, it shouldn't have any
problems with cards bigger than 2 gigabytes. I regularly use 4 gb CF
cards in my Plextalks and they work fine. I've heard from people who
use eight GB cards in the Plextalks without any problems. However,
because Plextor seems to do most of the testing with Sandisk cards, I'd
recommend getting a card manufactured by that company.

   <*** Michael Lang ***>