RE: 2 questions about transferring media between PTR1 and PC

  • From: "Aman Singer" <aman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 22:13:48 -0400

Hi.
        You asked
I have a Toshiba 5GB Type II PCMCIA Hard Disk which I have used with the
PTR1.
One of the files is larger than the capacity of a CD. I don't know of a way
to transfer directly from the PTR1 with this drive, to my PC.
Is there an easier solution than having to make an analogue recording, then
transferring so I won't lose any of the fidelity?

        Yes. If you have a laptop, it most probably has a PCMCIA slot in
which you can put your 5 gigabyte drive. The drive will be detected as a
standard drive and you can copy your files to the laptop's drive and then
via any other means, including networking/DVD/splitting among multiple CDs,
to your desktop. Alternatively, a product like one of these
        http://www.psism.com/reader.htm#usb
        should allow you to plug your PCMCIA drive into a reader which
should be plugged into a USB port on your desktop.
        Secondly, you ask
My CDRW drive on my computer needs replacing. In the meantime, is there a
way to transfer a folder of MP3 files from my PC to the PTR1? This folder is

not in daisy format.

        If you decide to buy one of the USB to PCMCIA adapters listed above,
you should just be able to copy the files to your 5 gigabyte drive and play
them on your PTR1. USB to PCMCIA devices can both read and write. If you
decide not to buy such an adapter, you can move the files by purchasing a
compact flash card, a USB compact flash reader, and a Compact Flash to
PCMCIA adapter. All are easily and cheaply available online. Copy the files
to the compact flash card via the USB reader, put the card in the PCMCIA
adapter and the card/adapter into your PTR1 and you should be ready to play
the files. Note that I think the functionality needed to play MP3 files from
the PCMCIA slot was only added to newer versions of the PTR1 firmware (I saw
this in the middle of 2004), so your player may need a firmware upgrade to
play the files.
        HTH.
        Aman

Hi, this is Steve with a couple of problems/questions.
First question:
I have a Toshiba 5GB Type II PCMCIA Hard Disk which I have used with the
PTR1.
One of the files is larger than the capacity of a CD. I don't know of a way
to transfer directly from the PTR1 with this drive, to my PC.
Is there an easier solution than having to make an analogue recording, then
transferring so I won't lose any of the fidelity?

Now for my second question.
My CDRW drive on my computer needs replacing. In the meantime, is there a
way to transfer a folder of MP3 files from my PC to the PTR1? This folder is

not in daisy format.
I am using XP Home and JAWS5.1.
Thank you very much.