[pskmail] VHF test modems 3 questions

  • From: Bob Morgan <wb5aoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 15:44:37 -0500

Rein,

I found three questions:

   First when I look at the VHF.html client instructions it says
to first download/install : Install jPSKmail-1.5.11 with the installer
and then: download/install-overwrite: jPSKmail-1.5.17 (which is just the jar
file)

I don't know where to find jPSKmail-1.5.11 and I have looked on the main page
and
poked around on the wiki.  According to the instructions it looks like I am
stuck unless I can find the base installer files.  I guess I was spoiled with
the integrated V2 modem program.

   Second is when I did find the server manual, had to look on the wiki, and
found
the one 1.0.34.pdf  it said on pg 11 that the config files were in
/root/.pskmail
I HOPE it means the users own unprivileged directory, and that we aren't
actually
trying to run as root?  After all, the installer actually put it in the users
.pskmail directory to start with.

   Third, did you already come up with a -2 version of fldigi .72?  It looked
like
the actual download link didn't change, or is it necessary to redownload the
same file, or what?

After doing some of the things in the server manual, and also turning on
the audio TX loopback in fldigi, I did see and hear a few samples of the
audio and spectra of the multicarrier psk modes, so thanks for the tip.
Some of those with several carriers are really worth testing out.  I wonder
if using something like the 125c12 for instance would help out with an
audio passband that has a rolloff from one end to the other, assuming that
the dsp algorithms can compensate each subcarrier independently of the others.
And it went by really fast too.

I guess if I can't do much else, it would be possible to just use two computers
side by side with either audio coupling or vhf radios and watch what happens
as things find their way though radio filters.

This is starting to look like fun, thanks,
73 de Bob WB5AOH