[pskmail] Re: Saving a WEB page

  • From: Per Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:31:21 +0200

Hi Franco,

I see your point and I have a slight variation on the topic.
Perhaps we should at some point use an external browser instead of the
text based approach we have now. I mean that we could use firefox and
have it hold bookmarks and display the pages instead.

I don't think we should try to get the complete pages including flash,
banner ads and irrelevant...for lack of a better word...crap.
I'm talking about only the html files including the text. Getting the
html would make the formatting look like it was supposed to, color will
stay etc.

I just fetched the mobile version of the main bbc news page. As text and
as compressed html. Here are those files:
per@newdelly:~$ ls -l bbc*
-rw-r--r-- 1 per per 5510 2011-04-28 16:11 bbc.htm.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 per per 8137 2011-04-28 16:10 bbc.txt

The first is the compressed html file and the second is the text file.
The compressed html file is abt 67% of the size of the text file.
I am attaching two screenshots here: bbcnews.png shows the html version
and bbctext.png the text version we have now (but this is shown in
firefox).

The problem with compressing like this is that the whole file needs to
be transfered. Also, the html probably contains a lot of irrelevant
references to ad and statistics sites that we should remove to compress
the pages more. So there is work there...

But, it would solve your problem as well in that you can save and print
using the external browser. Bookmark handling would be easy..

73 de Per, sm0rwo