[pskmail] Re: Listen with psk narrow first

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 08:09:08 +1100

Hi Nels,

To answer your question directly: it does not matter much which mode you
leave your server on, except when you have beacons enabled, so that others
can receive your beacons OR when you want to monitor other server's beacons.
In which case it is a matter of coordination (as per Rein's email that
arrived while I was typing that one).

Also worth noting that very narrow modes like PSK31 are very sensitive to
frequency misalignment between the sender and receiver: a few hertz and it
won't be decoded. PSK250 or 250R tolerate something like 30 hertz of
misalignment.

Regarding the VM machines: I have tried VM-ware and Q-EMU running Ubuntu VMs
before and the issues I had were related to the CPU timing (which is
critical for Fldigi as we use time pretty accurately) and/or handling of
sound capture and playback (it had a lot of gaps).

But that was about 3 years ago so it may be better now. In my opinion, Per's
approach to provide a PERL environment in Windows for the server to run in a
better approach as it avoids the two issues I mentioned above. Stay tune (I
can't wait either).

Hope this helps,

73, John